The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’ NC Division of Public Health, Community and Clinical Connections for Prevention and Health Branch was recently awarded physical activity and nutrition funding by the CDC and is ready to award those funds to local organizations implementing interventions that support healthy nutrition, safe and accessible physical activity and breastfeeding in communities across the state. The department specifically requested that this information be shared with local chambers of commerce that may be eligible or interested in applying for some of the funds. If your chamber is spearheading any of these efforts, please find more information below.
If you have any question, please contact Dave Gardner, D.A., the division’s worksite wellness and school coordinator.
To support local level implementation a Request for Applications (RFA) will be released October 15, 2018 to recruit qualified organizations to implement nutrition and physical activity interventions that increase one or more of the following:
- Number of places that implement food service guidelines
2. Number of places that implement supportive breastfeeding interventions
3. Number of places that implement community planning and transportation interventions that support safe and accessible physical activity
4. Number of early care and education providers that implement nutrition standards
5. Number of early care and education providers that implement physical activity standards
Organizations applying for these funds must work to mobilize communities, build collaborative relationships and implement culturally relevant and specific evidence-supported interventions.
The RFA will be available on October 15, 2018 at the following locations:
Gary J. Salamido