Mental Health in the Workplace
Coinciding with Mental Health Awareness Month, the NC Chamber launched an employer-focused initiative to provide businesses with resources, best practices, and tools to help address mental health in the workplace. The pandemic has without question exacerbated the existing mental health crisis in our country and state, and employers are seeing the impacts of that every day on their employees. We hope to help the business community navigate this issue—which many health professionals have called ‘the second pandemic.’ These resources are and will remain available and complimentary to the public as we believe it’s the right thing to do for the at-large North Carolina business community and the people they employ.
The NC Chamber would like to extend a special thank you to our member companies who have collaborated with us in producing the toolkit, webinars, and our Business Playbook Podcast, which have included: Atrium Health, Duke Health, First Citizens Bank, IBM, Poyner Spruill, UCB, and WakeMed. This project would not have been feasible without their assistance.
Importance of Employer Investment in Mental Health
Mental health has a direct impact on businesses’ bottom lines through increased absenteeism, impact on productivity and profits, and health costs incurred. This infographic helps provide a visualization of the impact of mental health in the workplace and the positive effects of employer investment in mental wellbeing.
The Impact of Mental Health
Want to test your knowledge? We think you might just learn something new.
Employer Mental Health Toolkit
This toolkit, authored by several NC Chamber members, provides North Carolina employers with information on: creating a mental health-friendly culture, training managers on mental health, ADA requirements and accommodations, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP) compliance. This resource also includes best practices and actionable steps to guide businesses in supporting their employees.
NC Chamber Webinars on Mental Health
Reports & Key Websites
- American Psychiatric Association Center for Workplace Mental Health
- NAM: Employee Wellness and Improving Morale During COVID-19
- Duke Personal Assistance Service
- Duke Center for Healthcare Safety and Quality Resources
- Duke Center for Health Safety and Quality Tools
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation: Mental Health First Aid at Work training
- SHRM’s Workplace Mental Health & Wellness Certificate
- Mental Health America Trainings & Tools for Workplace Wellness
- Recommended resource for finding a therapist (or psychiatrist)
- Duke Health’s Caring for Each Other Program
- Hope4NC helpline (1-855-587-3463) available 24/7 via, call, text or chat
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline (1-800-273-8255)
- Crisis Text Line, Text HOME to 741741
- Catapult can assist with resources for Employee Assistance Programs, telehealth, and benefits, contact at 866-440-0302. Learn more
- MentalHealth.gov: Lists local organizations with mental health expertise
- Deloitte white paper (May 2022): The mental health of Gen Zs and millennials in the new world of work