Shaping a forward-thinking, 21st century energy strategy for North Carolina.
As the state continues to experience exponential growth, it is more important now than ever before that North Carolina has a comprehensive, environmentally responsible strategy in place to ensure every corner of the state has access to efficient and affordable energy.
That’s why the NC Chamber advocates for a forward-thinking, “all-of-the-above” energy strategy that supports grid modernization and improves access to renewables, solar, wind, geothermal, biomass, natural gas, oil, coal and nuclear power.
The Current Challenge
As a national leader in both nuclear and renewable energy production, North Carolina is well-positioned to secure an even stronger energy portfolio in the years ahead. If we’re to continue meeting the increasing needs of our growing population, we must embrace innovation and remain adaptable amidst a fast-changing energy landscape.
The NC Chamber Foundation is convening stakeholders to identify what businesses need from the state’s energy infrastructure and to develop possible strategies to achieve an affordable, reliable, and sustainable energy grid that keeps our state competitive. Collaborating with providers and consumers, the Foundation will help chart a course for a sustainable energy future.
In addition to these efforts, the NC Chamber Government Affairs team advocates for a jobs agenda that will continue to keep NC first in business. Recent wins include:
- 2021: House Bill 951, secured with NC Chamber support throughout a thoughtful and deliberate negotiation process, cemented a bipartisan foundation for the next phase of North Carolina’s energy transition. The bill empowers our communities and businesses to reach ambitious carbon reduction targets, modernize and protect our energy grid, and safeguard the affordable and reliable energy North Carolinians count on for success.
- 2021: Senate Bill 605 enhanced job creators’ access to two key energy resources: natural gas and renewable natural gas. The NC Chamber specifically championed a measure creating a new general permit for farms with anaerobic digester systems to collect and distribute renewable natural gas to our state’s existing gas infrastructure, reducing regulatory lag on these agribusinesses and creating new economic opportunity in rural parts of the state.
- View our 2022 Legislative Agenda to learn how the NC Chamber will advocate for a forward-thinking, “all-of-the-above” energy strategy this legislative session.
- Learn how the NC Chamber championed a competitive, diverse energy landscape for NC job creators in the 2021 edition of How They Voted.
- Explore our Energy Conference, which brings together industry leaders to discuss collaborative approaches to a reliable, accessible and affordable energy infrastructure in North Carolina.